Friday, January 25, 2008

Exercise vs Activity

Merriam-Webster's definitions:
active/activity- causing or involving action or change; brisk, lively
exercise- exertion made for the use of training or physical fitness

I like the words brisk and lively rather then exert. I knew I had a good reason to say activity rather than exercise.

I think activity can be one of the hardest lifelong changes to make. Of course, as you lose weight you will be able to get around better, be able to breathe better, have more energy and just feel better about being active in public.
Are you wondering why I am writing about activity again?! Well, it was one of the more difficult changes I had to make and I still struggle with staying active and making sure I move purposefully every day.
When I first started Weight Watchers the move more materials were week 3. I started right away by trying to move more. Most of the time I would have to do tell myself "Just do it for 20 minutes". What is 20 minutes out of my whole day? The self talk worked and it helped a lot with my weight loss.
It's been 7 years since I first walked into that Weight Watcher meeting room and some days I still have to tell myself, "Just do it for 20 minutes".
Can you "just do it for 20 minutes"? Bet you can!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!