Monday, May 18, 2009

Frittata Recipe

I know I haven't put a recipe on here for quite some time. My friend, Kat, encouraged me to post this one. I made this for my mom and hubby on Mother's day-it was delicious! I'll post the recipe, then I'll tell you the changes I made.

Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata
Serves 6
Nutritional Info: (approx) 158 calories, 9g fat, 1 g fiber

1 TB light butter
1 TB olive oil
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 eggs
3/4 cup egg beaters (or egg substitute for 3 eggs)
1 TB water
1 tsp fresh thyme
3 TB shredded reduced fat Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat your broiler.
Melt butter in a cast iron skillet (mine was a 10" and whatever pan you use should be able to go into the oven) and add olive oil. Add asparagus and cook until it is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Meanwhile whisk together eggs, egg beaters, water and thyme until fluffy. Add to skillet and cook about 5 minutes- do not scramble. It's a frittata, not scrambled eggs. I do lift some sides of the egg up and let the raw egg get underneath to cook. The top should not be completely cooked.
Put under your broiler and continue cooking until the eggs are set. Add Parmesan and mozzarella and melt. Serve and enjoy! It was even good as leftovers.

What I did: I trimmed the bottom of my asparagus spears, but didn't cut them into pieces. Then I steamed them for 2-3 minutes in the microwave to soften. Then I added the mushrooms and asparagus to my hot skillet and sauteed about 3 minutes. I added 2 slices of lean ham and sauteed that about 2 minutes. (It doesn't increase the points unless you add quite a bit)
Because my hubby doesn't like asparagus I removed it from the skillet before adding the eggs. When it was time to put under the broiler I added the asparagus on one side in a spoke fashion. I think it looked a bit fancier then chopped into pieces. Then I added the cheese to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!