Friday, June 19, 2009

Eat Breakfast, Lose Weight

You've probably heard this many times, but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day! The National Weight Control Registry states that 78% of their registrants eat breakfast every day.

Have you noticed a connection between eating breakfast and losing weight? I very rarely ever ate breakfast before joining WW. My routine was a sugary morning latte, get home from work in the afternoon and snack until dinner. Pretty healthy huh? After joining WW I made a point of eating breakfast and cutting out the sugary latte. At the time I considered breakfast anything before 11AM. Once I started tracking I realized I was much more satisfied with eating breakfast and I didn't feel a need to snack all day. Now I very rarely ever miss breakfast!

We can all learn to maximize the satisfaction of this important meal:

  • Breakfast deserves variety, too! Some of us are just great with eating the same breakfast over and over, but many others need variety. How about having 5 or 6 of your favorite healthy breakfasts planned out so you don't' have to eat the same thing again and again.
  • S-T-R-E-T-C-H with filling foods. The filling foods keep you satisfied longer and fill you up with less calories. Are you incorporating these into your first meal of the day? Include fruits, vegetables (in an omelet, perhaps) and whole grains.
  • Power up with protein. Experts say the best breakfast includes healthy carbs and protein. Some good choices are cheese, milk, peanut butter, eggs, yogurt and almonds.
  • Favorites make it fun. Avoid deprivation and include some of your favorite foods every now and then. You can easily makeover high fat or high sugar favorites. Or, just have smaller portions.

If you aren't eating breakfast work on some strategies to eat something- you are breaking the fast and your body needs fuel for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!