Sunday, September 27, 2009

Goal Setting and Non-Scale Measurements of Success


"If you don't know where you're going, you will probably end up somewhere else."~Lawrence J. Peter


Continually setting goals and reaching them is an important weight loss skill. Clear specific goals gives us direction. When we achieve those goals, we feel successful. When we have a sense of success, it gives us momentum to keep going.

There is something empowering about reaching a set goal. For me it propels me forward to more successes. It makes me feel good knowing I can succeed! Breaking the larger goals into smaller, achievable goals can be especially compelling.

Weight Watchers like to celebrate with 5 pound stars, 5 % loss, 10% key chain. Those are great goals but you may health related goals too, like lowering your blood pressure, lower cholesterol, or just adopting healthier cooking habits. How about activity goals such as walking one mile, jogging 1 mile, what about walking 1 mile faster this week then you did last week? Want to be in a smaller size pant? lose inches? feeling comfortable tucking in your shirt? Tying your own shoes?


Set a goal for yourself today! Determine how you will reward yourself. (not a FOOD reward!)

What steps will be necessary for you to reach your goal? Make a plan, then go for it! I believe in you!!!


"I don't care how much power, brilliance or energy you have,
If you don't harness it and focus it on a specific target, and hold it there,
You're never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants." ~Zig Ziglar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!