Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tray Baked Chicken

This recipe was created by British chef Jamie Oliver. My hubby is pretty picky and I really didn't know what he'd think of the sweet potatoes, but he liked it a lot and told me it was a keeper. It looks like a long recipe, it isn't very hard at all.


Brine for the chicken:
1 qt water
2 TB kosher salt
1/3c honey
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 sprigs fresh sage, leaves only (don't omit the sage as it gives it wonderful flavor)
1/4c apple cider vinegar
juice and zest of one lemon


The rest of the ingredients:
4 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on (I can't find them in my town, so I use boneless skinless)
3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
1 med onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh sage, leaves shredded
olive oil
sea salt and pepper
1 2/3 c chicken broth (this equals one 14 oz can)
grated Parmesan cheese
butter

1. Mix brine, add chicken, cover and refrigerate 2-8 hours.
2. Remove chicken from brine and let it come to room temperature.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a roasting pan toss potatoes, onion, garlic and sage with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour in broth. Cook for 30 minutes.
Top with chicken,  a few pats of butter and Parmesan cheese. Cook additional 35 minutes or until chicken is golden.

Makes 8 servings

The original recipe called for bacon and cream. I didn't add the bacon and really couldn't  figure out what the cream did for the dish so I left it out too.

If you tried a recipe that you want to share leave the link to your blog on a comment or email it to me and I'll post it.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I have a chili and rice casserole in the oven tonight and just posted a photo of my breakfast drink recipe.
    http://thiswideopenspaciouslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!