Friday, August 29, 2014

What's in my Box?

Here is my produce from this week.

Peppers: my husband does not like peppers so I saute them up and throw them in with my scrambled egg in the morning.
Heirloom tomatoes- I  make a simple appetizer of sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella slices, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Summer squash- I love to saute these up topped with freshly ground pepper and kosher salt and serve them alongside any kind of protein. (anybody recognize the roundish white squash?)
Celery- fresh with peanut butter, hummus, or used in stir fry.
Fresh field greens- I order these up almost every week and keep a fresh salad in my fridge at all times.
I got parsley this week. How do I keep that and what in the world do I do with it?
Eggplant- I've never been a fan. Got any ideas or recipes to make me a convert?
Beets- I love beets more and more. I roast them in the oven and eat them alongside a protein for dinner and keep the rest in the fridge to top on my salads.
Beet greens-  Do you use your beet tops? I cut them off, wash them and store them like lettuce and add them to my smoothies. 

I know this shot looks more brown, but actually the beet greens are red! So instead of a green smoothie I have a red smoothie. Have you tried that before? It doesn't taste like beets and is good for you.

What are you enjoying this week?

5 comments:

  1. Parsley- Not just a garnish anymore! I put a small handful in my green smoothies! Add to hummus, soups, and salads too. Add some to your eggs along with those sautéed peppers and onions! If you have a large amount, wrap in a moist paper towel and put in a plastic bag, refrigerate.
    Wish I received beets like that in MY box! I have to buy them on the side. LOVE roasted beets. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. green top leaves from young beets can used with your salad

    and for the eggplant, I like "Baba Gannouj" spread (you can eat that spread on vegetables and I like to use it instead of cream with tomato sauce on noddles)
    or eggplant with tomato sauce with cheese - grilled in oven or barbecue
    or "ratatouille" cut vegetables (including eggplant) all grilled together with can of stewed tomatoes (you need to cut them in slice or cubes and sprinkle them with coarse salt or sea salt(about 1 tea spoon for 1 large eggplant) and let drain for 30 minutes on paper towels to remove any bitterness. Rinse and wipe off any excess salt and liquid before grilling).
    The choice is yours,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. note - it is the eggplant and the zucchini that need to be cut and sprinkle with salt before you add them to the other vegetables

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the ideas Carole! I forgot about babba ganoush- I do like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parsley is wonderful used in tabbouleh salad [Near East makes a box mix, you add lemon juice, feta, and parsley]; also good in a rice salad or orzo salad with lemon and pine nuts, olive oil.

    http://www.neareast.com/#products/taboule I use the mix bec it is an easy way to get the bulgar wheat cooked correctly. Decrease the liquid tho, esp if you like al dente texture.


    Eggplant can be sliced scant 1/4" [salted/ rinsed] brushed with olive oil, and roasted on a cooky sheet. Turn once when first side gets brown, brush more oil if needed. [I suppose you could do this on a grill but the cooky sheet is easy]. Add the hot eggplant or at room temp to your fresh tomato/ mozzarella appetizer. I make little towers. Almost a light meal.

    Peppers are nice grilled then stored in garlic olive oil. Add to sandiches or roll ups;
    plus of course Italian sausage and peppers on a crusty bun is so yummy! Maybe your husband will like them that way?

    What is the funny white melon/ squash? I ve never seen one like it.

    Too hot here for the farmers market! Your veggies look so yummy...

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!