Friday, October 31, 2014

What's in my Box?


My produce box looks similar to last week. I learning to love the root veggies and squashes.

I've got a big turnip this week. I'll use that in a stew along with the red potatoes and peppers.
I believe the squash is an acorn, although this week mine has little warts on it.  I'd love to hear your favorite way to prepare your acorn squash.

We are still harvesting tomatoes in Central Oregon, which is crazy! 
Swiss chard will be used in my smoothies and I order the field greens separate which I'll eat every day for dinner. 

I've been focusing on whole, real food, but also seem to be fighting water retention, which I think is related to hormone changes. It's frustrating but I'll stay the course. 
Have a fantastic and healthy weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! Going to a huge farmers market tomorrow and will load up on tons of fresh stuff. I roast my acorn squash and make a delicious squash/apple soup with lots of veggies in it....broth and coconut milk make it rich and creamy! It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my squash into soup or cut it into cubes and put it in chili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful harvest box! Maybe it s a kumbocha squash? [sp?] This link shows the main types of winter squash and suggest recipes. [below] I like to roast the halved squashes, spoon out some of the meat, mix with quinoa / sauteed onion & garlic/ spices to taste. Pour a bit of cider in the pyrex dish, top the stuffed squash with breadcrumbs or pumpkin/ sunflower seeds. Bake 350*/ 35 minutes. Meatless meal or nice sidedish.

    A savory stew sounds sooo delicious, gonna be cold and windy here!

    http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visual-guide-winter-squash

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to do simple roasted acorn squash. Yum. I'm trying a new recipe today using delicata squash. Would love to hear more about your stews though...recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!