Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Aging is Not for Sissies!


 On July 18th we climbed South Sisters. On the flats I fell directly on my knee. As if the descent wasn't hard enough on knees! I rested it and iced it for 4 days then did a training run to prepare for....
 Cascade lakes relay, which took place on July 29th. My knees were feeling pretty good at that time. Then I realized I needed to start training for my half marathon which is September 25th. So I did.
I kept hiking while training and was still feeling pretty good. Until I upped my mileage and  my pace. Then the knee I fell on was waking me up at night throbbing and hurting about the first 5-10 minutes of a run. 
I made an appt with the orthopedic doctor. 
Not only do I have arthritis in my back (diagnosed some time ago) it is in my knees. (I am not a lifetime runner so it isn't from running, but likely genetics,  Thanks mom!) The one I fell on especially was more traumatized because of the fall. The dr gave me a cortisone shot and told me to rest it from vigorous activity for a month to let it heal and then after that  she recommended shorter runs only 3 x a week.  Talk about bummed! It is strange because it didn't hurt previous to the fall.
Funny, I was just reading A Man Called Ove and came across this line:
“One of the most painful moments in a person's life probably comes with the insight that an age has been reached when there is more to look back on than ahead."
― Fredrik Backman, A Man Called Ove

I don't feel like that is painful, but it got me thinking. I'm going to do the half marathon (against the judgment of my dr). I'm going to be proactive with my arthritis, and I'm going to look ahead and make the next 30years or so the best I can make them! I'm running out of time!! LOL

Wish me luck! A few prayers would be helpful too.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right! "Arthur" has visited me in more than one of my joints now. I for one am proud of you to keep going even with the pain. I will send prayers for a pain free race and hope you can keep your arthritis at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to hear Diana Nyad talk last week and this is her drive - to stay active and live life to the fullest. Go Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read the book Strong Women and Men Beat Arthritis? by Miriam Nelson and her co-horts at Tufts U. A lot of good diet ideas and exercises.I've been using walnut oil instead of olive oil because it has more Omega 3 fats,and I find it to be delicious. I just got another book by her called Strong Women Strong Bones, because I'm dealing with a bone density issue and numbers are worse this year.

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!