Monday, July 30, 2018

Mini- Vacay

Two years ago an acquaintance asked me to go on vacation with her. We hit it off so well we went again this past week. When she said she'd like to go to Whistler, I admit I had to use the map to see where it was!
We left in the wee hours so we could make the 10+ hour drive in one day and still have time to enjoy ourselves.

For those of you that may not know, Whistler is a resort community in Canada. Last time I was in Canada I was a kid, so it was exciting!



 I was a horrible navigator to get us through Vancouver, but we did get to see the downtown!
Stopped at beautiful Shannon falls to strech our legs.

Once we parked the car we didn't have to use it until we were ready to leave 3 days later.


 Lots of black bears in the area, although we didn't see any. 
The elevation of the village is not that high,(not quite 2200') but it did remind me of photos of a Swiss village.
 We hiked about 7 miles the following day in the Whistler valley. In this photo I was showing my hubby I was wearing my bear spray. Yes, it is recommended you carry it and know how to use it, although black bears are shy and tend to leave humans alone.


 Whistler was the site of many 2010 Olympic events. Behind us there they were preparing for IronMan which was taking place the day after we were leaving town.
 Even though this is a winter ski resort it is a summer destination too. Behind us here is a bike park. People put their bikes on the chair lift, grab the next one up then at the top ride down on different paths, depending on your experience. Men, women, young and old were having a blast. We were enjoying watching them.
I guess I'll break this up into 2 posts. The next day was even busier!

1 comment:

  1. We have lots of friends who go to Whistler to ski but the hiking looks great too.

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!