Thursday, August 2, 2018

Canadian Adventure

I did my homework ahead of time and found via ferrata in Whistler and knew I'd be doing it, even without my friend. (her idea of getting out of her comfort zone is asking me to go on vacation with her!)

Via Ferrata means "The Iron Way" and was started in WW1 to get over the Italian Dolomites!You can read about it HERE. I find the history of it fascinating. I have rock climbed before and wasn't interested in doing that, but this was similar but with rungs!

But, before that we had to take the gondola to the top of Whistler Peak. We then took another gondola to Blackcomb peak for hiking first. I'm not even sure I've been in a gondola before!!
Info: The record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola links Blackcomb and Whistler Mountains. A feat of engineering, the gondola boasts the longest unsupported lift span in the world (3.024 kilometres or 1.88 miles). It is also the highest lift of its kind with an elevation of 436 metres (1,427 ft).









Isn't is beautiful??!!

We went back to Whistler mtn where our via ferrata adventure would start after lunch.


 See that building about in the middle? We started there and hiked to the rocks. 
 And got our safety briefing. Jake was our guide and we were the only 2 people! That was fun!
 Ummmm, where are all the rungs??? Well, I guess because of the cold winters they break off! So it was a little like rock climbing.
 This is looking straight down where we had just climbed.


I had an absolute blast! 

 My friend is glad she did it, but I'm pretty sure she'd never do it again. I'd jump at the chance! I had a blast!!
Basically we climbed this mountain! Most people take the chair lift to the new suspension bridge. (Right about the middle of your screen)
They waited for me while I crossed the bridge.


After getting cleaned up and had dinner, we went to the coldest vodka ice room in the world! It was 25 degrees below zero and that's why we needed the knee length Canadian goose down parkas! This was our Italian bartender.


That topped off our memorable 3 days in Whistler Canada!! 

Would you do the Via Ferrata?





1 comment:

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!