Thursday, January 17, 2008

Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken

Here's another easy crock pot recipe. Adapt it to fit your needs or what you have in your spice cupboard.

Rinse a small chicken (4-5 pounder) and make sure you remove any giblets. I always cut off big pieces of fat, but generally leave the skin on- it's your dinner, so do what you want.

Mix together to make a paste:
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TB olive oil

Spread a little of the seasoning paste inside the chicken and put breast side up in the crock pot. Spread the rest of the seasoning on top.

I almost always just crank my crock pot on high, then get on with my day. When you get home remove the chicken, serve with brown rice, veggie, and a salad with FF dressing and you have yourself a delicious healthy meal.


*Now, you will not get a crispy brown chicken when you put it in the crock pot. The spices do make it look a bit darker though. My family has never complained because it turns out moist and tastes great.
If you have a smaller family use your leftover chicken to make chicken noodle soup or if you made rice, how about chicken and rice soup?
I never throw out juices from my meat either. Put it in a freezer container, label it, and use later when a recipe calls for chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!