Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not So Summer Meal

Here is a recipe that someone from the meeting said was very good. I tried it last night and although it isn't a light "summer" meal it was very good and even my hubby and 21 year son approved.

You can find it online at Weight Watchers by doing a recipe search for Stuffed Shells. If you don't have etools you can get it here.

Stuffed Shells
Serves 6 (4 shells per serving)
4 points per serving

1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup ff cottage cheese
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TB dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups canned tomato sauce
1 pound cooked pasta, jumbo shells, approx 24 shells

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together cheeses, salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce on bottom on 9x13" baking dish.
When cooked shells are cool enough to handle, fill each shell with cheese mixture and place in baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.


Now I'll tell you how I did it. While shells cooked I put a little olive oil in skillet and added about 5 cloves sliced garlic and sauteed until golden then I added a little red pepper flakes and stirred. Add about 35 oz diced Italian style tomatoes and fresh basil. Simmer covered about 10 minutes then uncover and put over a low heat. Remove cooked shells from water and put on a cookie sheet to cool and make it so they don't stick together.
I mixed up the cheese as directed but added fresh garlic instead of garlic salt then filled the shells. It seems like I had a lot of shells so I don't know if I bought the wrong kind or what. I put the stuffes shells aside and browned a couple of small boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. When they were close to being done I added some marinara sauce, and stuffed shells. Then I covered the skillet until it was cooked and hot. (Add more sauce if needed or to your liking) We had a lot of leftovers and 4 shells per serving seemed like too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!