Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Salad in a Jar

Isn't this cool!? My friend and quilter, Kat, showed me hers and I had to follow suit. I could only find two large jars and I'm pretty sure I'll have to add more greens to them, but for my first time assembling them I think they turned out pretty good.  They will be easy to grab and dump in a big bowl, ready to eat.

My layers, starting with the wettest veggie:
tomato
cucumber
radishes
orange bell pepper
carrots
celery
red cabbage
field greens


I found a good site with a few more versions. You can find it HERE.

I'm going to my dad's in a couple of weeks (weather willing) and this will be perfect to bring with me to ensure I have something healthy to eat.

What would you layer in your jar?


4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And isn't it pretty too! I might add raw spinach and maybe a cooked egg for some protein if I was going to a place where all the food is processed. And in season wouldn't a strawberry spinach salad look so pretty in a jar?

    Thanks for the idea :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jar idea is great. I do better if I am "prepared" . Anything I can grab and go, or even just grab and eat is what I will reach for, so if I made these a few at a time I would be more likely to grab them and not some junk. I have to check that site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea and website. I've already downloaded the E-book and will pay it forward to my daughters and friends. So far I'm keeping my 2014 goal of eating less sugar/more fruits & veggies (I know... it's only been 8 1/2 days!)...start cutting broccoli & cauliflower into bite size pieces as soon as they come home with me - so easy to grab a handful for a healthy snack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look beautiful, Lori! Thanks so much for sharing the link to the salads I created, and I love the look of yours too. I hope you enjoyed them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!