Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Chasing Sunshine in January

 We have had a very mild winter, but I still prefer the warm temperatures. When it's fair and sunny I'm doing my best to get out and enjoy it. Almost 2 weeks ago now, I had hubby drop me and Elsa off at a trailhead and we were hiking to Smith Rock state park where he was going to pick us up a few hours later. I've been to Gray Butte and Smith Rock, but never on the trail connecting the two. It would have been close to 10 miles, but we missed the trailhead and ended up at 8.1 miles. I think my weight training is paying off as I felt strong, even carrying a 13 pound pack.
The first few miles were a little muddy. I wasn't loving that, but soon the trail dried up. 

 These photos give you a good idea of the high desert of Oregon where I live. 
 We get about 10" of precipitation a year.

 Old growth juniper trees.

Across the way is where our hike started.


 I knew I was getting close when I started seeing rock formations.


This Saturday is supposed to be decent as far as weather... I'm investigating where I should go. 

Keep on moving!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I am starting to collect trail ideas for hiking in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a brave woman; it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!